Father of Sagay massacre witness mulls kindap raps vs Karapatan

Karapatan, a militant group that too took custody of a minor who witnessed the killing of nine persons in Sagay, Negros Occidental on October 20, will face kidnapping charges.

The witness’ father plans to file charges according to Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Oscar Albayalde.

The militant group reportedly removed from the custody of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) the 14-year-old witness without the consent of his father.

The PNP had earlier filed multiple murder charges against Rene Manlangit and Rogelio Arquillo of the Negros Federation of Sugar Workers (NFWS).

Chief Inspector Robert Mansueto, Sagay police chief, said the suspects remain at large.

Meanwhile, the NFWS and other militant groups have condemned the filing of charges.

They said that it would set a “dangerous precedent” if people’s organizations are considered criminals by the PNP.